Long walks down the main street of Stradun. Soaking up the sights on a tour of the 1,940m-long city walls, which encompass five forts and 16 towers and bastions. Exhibition hopping in the numerous museums and galleries dotted throughout the city. If you love to immerse yourself in culture as soon as you arrive at a destination, Dubrovnik will delight you. Most of our hotels are situated just a five-10 minute walk from Dubrovnik Old Town, which means you can dip in and out, without missing out on relaxing time by the pool.
For the ultimate cultural experience, we recommend:
Hotel Excelsior Dubrovnik
Just a short walk from the Old Town, Hotel Excelsior’s unrivalled location offers guests the opportunity for quick trips into Dubrovnik to learn of its colourful history, to dine in its many restaurants and to shop in the many boutiques contained within its historic stone walls. Overlooking the Adriatic Sea and nearby island of Lokrum, it is the ideal starting point from which to explore this UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Grand Villa Argentina
Just a five-minute stroll from Dubrovnik Old Town, Grand Villa Argentina’s prestigious seafront location and lush gardens afford spectacular views. Start your day with a refreshing dip in the outdoor pool overlooking the red roofs of the city before heading into town for your culture fix. For panoramic views of the city by night, take an evening ride on the famous Dubrovnik cable car.
Villa Orsula Dubrovnik
A boutique hotel with a grand story to tell, its gracious Mediterranean architecture gives Villa Orsula its stylish edge. Built in the 1930s, it is renowned for its beautiful rooms and personalised service. The ideal base from which to explore the city – Dubrovnik Old Town is just a short walk away – Villa Orsula is one of the region’s most luxurious retreats, away from the crowds.
Just a five-minute walk from Stradun Street, the main thoroughfare in the city, its convenient location and reasonable rates make Villa Glavić the ideal starting point for your culture-filled stay in Dubrovnik. Perfect for those who prefer to be out exploring rather than spending lots of time in their room.
Hotel Bellevue Dubrovnik
Set off on a stroll from the Hotel Bellevue, along a pretty, tree-lined street, and within 10 minutes you will arrive at the Old Town. Hotel Bellevue is an exquisite boutique hotel with a fabulous cliffside location and secluded beach. Here, you can balance your cultural trips into town with refreshing dips in the sea, plates of fresh seafood and relaxing hours spent in the luxurious sanctuary of your room.
Our top recommendations for culture vultures:
- Join a walking tour of the city walls
- Spend time in the local museums: the Rector’s Palace, the Rupe (Granary) Museum, Marin Drzic Museum and the Maritime Museum
- Pick up an authentic Konavle folk costume, which were common sights on the streets of Dubrovnik in the last century
- Attend a local folklore show
- Admire the flora and fauna at the arboretum in Trsteno (20km out of the city), one of the oldest of its kind in this part of the world
- Cross the sea to the Benedictine monastery, Fort Royal Castle and botanical garden on the uninhabited island of Lokrum
- Stop by the third-oldest, and only working, pharmacy in Europe, located in the Franciscan Monastery
- Take a Dubrovnik Cable Car up the cliffside for unrivalled views of the city
- Set off on a tour of the many impressive sacred buildings within the Old Town
- Book tickets for one of the concerts, plays or performances during the Dubrovnik Summer Festival.